I voted for President Obama because:
- He believes in equal pay for equal work for women. He signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act into law his first year in office. Nearly every Republican in Congress voted against it.
- He supports women’s rights. He has appointed moderate female justices to the Supreme Court who will protect Roe vs Wade.
- He instituted tougher regulations on banking and other big businesses, regulations that had been removed under Bush. Lack of regulation was a major factor in the housing crisis.
- He pushed for (and signed into law) a major health care bill, the Affordable Care Act. Among other things, this allows students to stay on their parents’ insurance until they are 26, it doesn’t allow the insurance companies to refuse coverage for pre-existing conditions, and it will help bring the cost of healthcare out of the clouds and back down to earth.
- He believes that education and infrastructure are what made this nation great, and they’re what we have to rebuild if we’re going to continue to grow and innovate.
- He bailed out the auto industry and kept over a million jobs in this country instead of allowing them to be sent overseas.
- He made the call to take out Osama bin Laden.
- He ended the war in Iraq and he is bringing our troops home where they belong.
- He will not raise taxes on the poor and middle class to give the wealthy tax cuts.
- He understands that trickle-down economics doesn’t work.
- Job creation is up since he took office.
- He believes in clean energy and the jobs it creates.
- He has restored our standing in the international community.
- He got “Don’t ask, don’t tell” repealed.
- He supports marriage equality and told the Justice Department to stop defending the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
- He believes in the greatness of this country.
- He has helped cut our dependence on foreign oil.
- He doubled funding for Pell Grants, so that more students who couldn’t afford college can now get an education.
- As part of the Affordable Care Act, employers are required to cover birth control on their insurance plans. The money saved by female consumers on a yearly basis is equal to a student loan payment or auto loan payment.
- He worked with Russia to get rid of the stockpiles of nuclear weapons.
I keep could keep going and going, but I won’t. Because there’s still a lot left to get done. I’ve cast my vote for President. Have you? If not, get out and vote!